Accessibility statement for One You Islington
This statement applies to content published on https://oneyouislington.org/.
This website is run by Islington Council. It is designed to be used by as many people as possible. The text should be clear and simple to understand. You should be able to:
- zoom in up to 200% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Keyboard focus is not visible throughout the site via the use of a focus indicator
- Pinch to zoom is disabled which prevents users from resizing and magnifying the contents of the webpage on a mobile device
- The language of the website is not specified which may impact how screen-reading software reads the content
- Instances of low colour contrast elements including stylised heading text and icons
- Not all links on the website have accessible names
- Hover-over content on the homepage is not accessible to keyboard-only users
- The navigation sub-menu is not expandable by keyboard
- The collapsed and expanded state of the hamburger navigation menu on smaller screens is not announced by screen-reading software
- The carousel controls disappear when the site is reflowed for smaller screens
- The carousel does not have a name or role assigned
- Aria description IDs are missing from certain carousel slides
- Certain images on the website are not recognised as images by screen-reading software
- Inaccurate alt-text for banner images which does not convey the content within the image
- Instances of images of text in the carousel with no text alternatives present
- Footer logos are not announced by screen-reading software
- Closed captions are not provided for the video
- No title is assigned to the video
- The video player radio buttons, to select the quality and speed of the playback, are not labelled and screen-reader software does not announce selection
- Screen-reading software does not announce the toggled state of the play/pause button of the video player
- The buffering indicator in the video player is not announced by screen-reading software
- There are tables on the website without table headers
- The collapsed and expanded state of the accordion elements are not announced by screen-reading software
- The links within the carousel disappear when user adapts paragraph spacing to 1.5 times the font size, word spacing to .16 and letter spacing to .12
- Instances of identical level 3 headings next to each other on the homepage
- Instances of paragraph text that should be marked-up as headings.
How to request content in a different format
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- report it online using our contact form
- call 020 7527 2000 or minicom 020 7527 1900
- if you use British Sign Language you can contact Islington Council using our Sign Language Interpreting Services.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact us.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
Islington Council’s Customer Centre and the Town Hall have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit, we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Find out how to contact us.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Islington Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard. The ‘non-compliances’ are listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- 1.1: Non-text contrast
- 2.2 Captions Pre-Recorded
- 3.1: Info and Relationships
- 3.2: Meaningful Sequence
- 4.10: Reflow
- 4.11: Non-text Contrast
- 4.12: Content on Hover or Focus
- 4.12: Text Spacing
- 4.3: Contrast (Minimum)
- 4.4: Resize Text
- 4.5: Images of Text
- 1.1: Keyboard
- 2.2 Pause Stop Hide
- 4.4: Link Purpose (In Context)
- 4.6: Headings and Labels
- 4.7: Focus Visible
- 5.1 Pointer Gestures
- 5.3: Label in Name
- 1.1: Language of Page
- 2.2: On Input
- 1.2: Name, Role, Value
- 1.3: Status Messages
The accessibility problems in this website will be resolved by April 2023.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 28 November 2022. It was last reviewed on 28 November 2022.
This website was last tested on 17 November 2022. The test was carried out by Islington Council using a combination of manual and automated testing.